Connecting Census to Customer.io
This article describes how to connect Census to a Customer.io instance.
Collecting Customer.io API Credentials
To connect Census to your Customer.io, you'll need to provide Census with a few credentials so that we can talk to it directly.
1. Go to your API Credentials page
In the top right, click on your name, and select Account Settings
Then select API Credentials
2. Create a new set of credentials for Census
Click the Create New API Credentials button in the top right.
Then give the new credentials a name. It can be whatever you like, but give it something memorable so you know this key is used by Census. If you're using Customer.io's workspaces feature, you'll want to specify which workspace to use. If you want to connect Census to multiple workspaces, you'll need to create credentials for each one.
When you hit save, you'll return to the list of credentials. Make a note of the Site ID and API Key. You'll need to provide them to Census.
3. Create a new Customer.io connection in Census
Visit the Connections tab in Census
Then select Customer.io from the Add Service menu
Finally, provide the Site ID and API Key you just created on Customer.io. You can name the connection something memorable. This is particularly useful if you're going to create multiple connections, one for each Customer.io workspace. In that case, include the Customer.io workspace name here.
Customer.io will now appear as a new destination for Census syncs.
Unique features of Customer.io destinations
There are a few unique features available when syncing to a Customer.io instance.
Census supports syncing two different types of Customer.io data: People and Events.
- People are very standard Census syncs. Customer.io only allows the ID field to be used as the identifier for a Person record and recommends using your internal ID when possible, though email may be used to refer to prospective users if needed. You can read more about Customer.io's identifier guidelines here.
- Events are unique (literally!). Census will only send new database rows to Customer.io and so Events only support the Append Only behavior for syncs. In order to make sure an event is only ever published once, each row in your events source needs a globally unique ID.
Both objects support arbitrary custom fields. You can directly map to a new custom field by clicking the + Add Custom Field button when creating or editing a mapping.